7/1/11

A Sabbath Menu

A Sabbath Menu:

This weekend we are preparing to send our little boy to Florida on Tuesday to visit his mom for two months. It's our last sabbath together for quite a while and the last sabbath he will have, since she is not a believer. I want to make this one special, but at the same time, I have nothing in me except anxiety over this trip and the ensuing months without our boy. So, in order to make this sabbath about the PEOPLE and not the FOOD, I am planning simple dishes, so I can relax with my family and enjoy our sabbath rest.

Friday night meal:

Chicken Noodle Soup~

I prepped for this earlier in the week by cooking a whole chicken in my crockpot. I shredded the chicken and we have been eating it in omelets and tacos all week. I have reserved the breast meat for chicken noodle soup.

Here is my recipe:

two cups of chicken meat
8 cups of broth
Olive oil
5 diced carrots
one diced onion
two diced celery sticks (if I have them)
3-4 cloves of garlic
two bay leaves
salt and pepper
a pinch of rosemary and thyme
a few tablespoons of lemon juice
old fashioned Amish noodles (about 4 handfulls)

Sautee the carrots, onions, celery, and garlic in the olive oil until veggies are tender, yet still crisp. Add chicken, spices, and broth. Simmer for an hour. Increase temp until almost boiling. Add noodles and cook for 10-15 minutes longer. Add lemon juice and serve. Super good and simple. I will serve this with bread that I bought at the local "health" food restaurant that bakes fresh and yummy bread and sells it for $3 a loaf. Normally I would bake bread, but today, we will buy it.

Sweets for Sabbath:

We love to have something sweet on sabbath, so today we are going to make Peanut Butter Cookies. PB cookies are super simple and require only a few ingredients, salt, sugar, butter, peanut butter and eggs. They are also our little man's favorite cookie.

Sabbath Breakfast:

Cantaloupe and Watermelon
Granola and raw milk
Orange juice

Sabbath Meal:

Crockpot Chili and bread~ We like to make ONE thing for sabbath meals and eat on it all day long. This week it's chili and a loaf of bread from the restaurant I mentioned.

Everything is quick and easy to make with hardly any prep at all. I can just throw stuff together and let it simmer, which will allow me to make the most of this busy day and restful weekend with my family. I've got an oil change to do today. Cleaning, laundry, picking up our raw milk order, and I have one less child since he is at camp, which means one less set of hands.

Which means I need to get busy! Have a wonderful Sabbath. Enjoy your family! I am sure going to enjoy mine!

*and yes, to me, soup is for ALL seasons, even this hot one! Especially if you can do it all in a crockpot! Soup is no respecter of seasons, in my opinion. :~)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...