1/20/11

Thrifting Finds


I love laying out all my thrift store finds.

 clothes drying rack $1
5 wide mouth quart sized canning jars $.25 each
real military issued combat boots (for my son) $1
 half bushel basket $.50 
4 glass jars with glass lids $.25 each
spoon rest $.25
clay jar with cork stopper- over priced at $1, but I've been searching for one
The Joy of Cooking cookbook $.50 
Book: Animal, Vegetable, Miracle $1
 8 glass spice jars $.50 for all
zebra print collar for my pooch Rufus $.25
 cheese grater which I needed for zesting $.25 
tongs-can't ever have too many tongs-$.25
barrette-free because she forgot to ring it up and just gave it to me
 spool holder for thread $1
 Crepe Cookery cookbook $.50
and one leather and wicker bag that is totally awesome $2.50
 (Not pictured here is the black hook dealy that is pictured down farther and I picked that up for $3)

All for under $16

 
I'm so excited about these. I LOVE containers. 

This was a little pricey ($2.50), but I just couldn't resist this. It is super sturdy and well, just cool. 

Here's that black hook dealy that I forgot to put in the picture above. 
I think it's going to go in my kitchen. I need something to hang our aprons from. 

I can't wait to use this, either for drying clothes or pasta! It's great, and for $1? I could not pass it up.


I have been wanting to make crepes and this is going to give me the motivation to do it. 
The Joy of Cooking? A classic must have that I didn't have.

I love to go thrifting and so do my kiddos. I hate spending retail for anything because I know sooner or later I'll find what I need at the thrift store. I love that my husband finds pleasure in seeing all the things I find, and that he never complains about this great love of mine :~) When I bring home a table full of useful things, he knows I've spent his money well. He knows I am happy and that we are well taken care of. Before winter I bought my youngest son and myself each a pair of nice winter boots at the thrift store for a total of $1.00. I saved probably $60 on that purchase because I didn't have to buy them new.

After moving to Wyoming with whatever we could fit in the back of our Explorer, I needed to replace a lot of stuff. Thrifting has made it possible for us to have "new" furniture, cookware, blankets, and other needful things. It is amazing to me that when we need something, the Father knows it, and more times than not, I find it at a thrift store. 


5 comments:

  1. Monica, I love this post, and I truly love our thirft-ing times together....I still say we need a button for our very own (of course to share) weekly {or so} meme!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, a button! That would be fantastic. We could have a thrift shopping linky thing. Today I went to Salvation Army and the Red Door. I wish I had an extra seat in my vehicle so I could always take you :~)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Monica ~ I have the declutter bug ~ if there is anything you need, please let me know ~ I just may be getting rid of one. ;-)

    Great finds, btw!

    Do you ever go thrifting in Billings? We are always on such a time crunch, but I want to make a trip just to hit the Montana Rescue Mission and Goodwill. {I can dream, right?}

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michelle- I have not even been to Billings yet. We are hoping to make a trip up there this next month to go to costco, but wouldn't it be super fun to get us gals together (and baby too) and go up there for the day to thrift! I so need a girls day. I miss Goodwill and would love to check out the one in Billings.

    If you have stuff you are getting rid of, let me know what it is. I might not know I need it until I see it :~) Thank you for the pictures, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That would be fun! We wouldn't all fit though! Unless we bought the 10 seater '72 station wagon we've been looking at ~ wouldn't that be a kick, lol!

    You are welcome for the pics ~ glad you liked them! I am starting my Passover/Spring cleaning early this year and hope to declutter as I go, so I will set things aside as I go. Off the top of my head, I can think of a chicken roaster, a decorative pot with a lid (has fruit on it), a cake plate and top, misc. kitchen items, a wine making kit, books, workbooks, junk (lol). You know the saying ~ one's man's junk is another man's treasure. I'm trying to list things I have not used in the last year (or 2). If I haven't used it, I want to get over my "I may use it someday" obsession.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...