5/11/10

Making Applesauce

We were given a few bags of apples that were on the edge. Since they weren't very good for eating whole and I didn't want to see them go to waste, I made applesauce. This is a very simple recipe and the results were pretty good.


I peeled about 18 large apples and cut them into large cubes. Set the crockpot on high and add apples, 2 t. cinnamon, 4 t. vanilla, 4T. brown sugar and about 8 T. of lemon juice. The recipe I had called for 1 c. of water for this many apples, but if I had to do it over again, I wouldn't add any water. There was plenty of liquid from the apples. I did end up adding a bit more brown sugar and cinnamon. Probably about 2 more teaspoons of cinnamon and a tablespoon more of brown sugar. Stir it all up and let it cook for about 4 hours.




This made 4 pints of applesauce. The kids loved it, so I guess this is a winning recipe!


2 comments:

  1. Oh, that looks yummy! My little Noah loves applesauce :D Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love using the crockpot for canning :) Great Recipe...and I agree - it's a great way to use up "not so" perfect produce. Your first picture looks so professional....with the little cups measured out...I love it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...