10/16/09

Pita Bread Recipe


I just found out I have gallstones and after having three gallbladder attacks within the last week I have had to change the way I eat. It's not too much of a change. We ate whole grains, raw honey, homemade yogurt and kefir, fruits, veggies, chicken and turkey. I made all our food from scratch, no boxed, processed junk. But, I had a tendency to make really fatty foods using cream sauces, cheeses, and making the most delicious gravies. I over indulged myself and my family for too long. I also loved making Indian, Mexican, and Asian dishes. Now, my diet has become bland and boring and without much substance for the most part. I have been eating lots of apples, steel-cut oats, plain old baked potatoes, veggies and drinking lots of apple and pineapple juice to try to clean my liver and gallbladder out. I can't have much fat at all and no sugar. This is all good for my waist line, but my stomach is crying out for FOOD!! So, yesterday, whilst craving bread I came across a recipe for whole wheat pitas using no oil or sugar. I modified it slightly and came out with some pretty good pitas. It was my first attempt at making them, so maybe a little more practice is due, but they satisfied my bread craving. I served one stuffed with some Israeli hummus and the other half with some left over butternut squash soup that had thickened up quite nicely. I chopped up some raw cabbage and added that to the soup for some texture...It wasn't curried chicken but it was pretty good. I am planning on making more pitas today for the weekend.

WHOLE WHEAT PITA BREAD

2 cups of whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 T. dry yeast\
1 1/4 c. warm water
1 tsp. raw cane sugar

5 min @ 500 degress
Makes 10 pitas

1.Mix warm water, sugar, and yeast in bowl and proof.
2.Mix salt and flour together.
3.Mix yeast water and flour mixture together. You made need a tad more flour if your dough is too sticky.
4.Knead dough for 4-5 minutes on lightly floured surface, until it is smooth and elastic.
5.Form dough into ten balls and lightly roll out on floured surface (about 1/4 inch thick) Do not roll out too thin or they will not form a pocket when you cook them.
6. Let rise for 30 minutes on a nonstick pan
7. Just before you put them in the oven, flip each pita over on its other side. This makes them puff up.
8. Bake on the bottom rack of the oven for 5 minutes.

Store warm pitas in plastic bag or resealable container.
Fill with num nums and enjoy

I made two batches yesterday and the first one was rolled too thin and they did not puff or form a pocket. No worries though. For dinner I used these for mini pizza crusts and the family was super pleased.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...